HMRC withdrawal of the CHIEF system for imports and export declarations reminder from Centurion VAT Specialists
Not directly VAT related but from our VAT support projects for Exporters and Importers managing the rules on Export evidence and the new Postponed VAT Accounting for Imports, we felt this was a timely reminder.
If you are a business that makes its own import and export declarations to HMRC please be aware that HMRC has confirmed the time-lines for the phasing out of the CHIEF (Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight) system for making those declarations and the mandatory use of CDS (Customs Declaration System) instead. The dates to note are
- 30 September 2022 for Imports
- 31 March 2023 for Exports
Key preparations for the change should ensure, for example, that you:
- have CDS-compatible software,
- understand what information CDS requires (there are differences from CHIEF) including the format,
- confirm that you are using correct commodity codes using UK Trade Tariff information and
- allow plenty of time for both staff training and testing.
For specific VAT training for Exporters and Importers please do note our next open VAT webinar covering Exporting and Importing in a Post Brexit environment is on the 31st May and you can register to attend here
For the avoidance of doubt, the content recorded in this news article does not constitute formal advice and we do not guarantee the accuracy of any information provided at the time of reading. It is always recommended that you seek professional advice before acting on any of the news articles or information included.